Thanks to the onset of technological advances, home entertainment is not all about traditional satellite and cable TVs. We are living in the world of mobile entertainment and Over-the-top (OTT) services are the next big
thing in the entertainment industry. Hulu with Live TV is one of the most anticipated media streaming services.
Established in May 2017, Hulu with Live TV has been offering various TV channels from cable and broadcast brands. You can watch repeat and live TV series as it works along with Hulu’s traditional subscription service. In this guide, we are going to discuss how to get started and watch Live TV on Hulu.
Getting Started – Sign up for Hulu with Live TV
You have to sign up for Hulu Live TV from the official Hulu website with these steps –
- First of all, log on to signup.hulu.com.
- Access your account using your Facebook profile or Hulu email and password.
- Select the option ‘Manage my Account’.
- Go to ‘Add-Ons’ and click ‘Manage’.
- It will show you a list of subscriptions you have and options to change if you want. After making changes, go to ‘Review Changes’.
- You can now enjoy your favorite shows live on Hulu.
- You can access Hulu with Live TV on several platforms like Windows, Mac, iOS, Xbox, Apple TV, and Chromecast.
How to Use Hulu with Live TV?
According to the platform, the process of using Hulu with Live TV varies slightly.
- Click on the ‘Live’ icon to watch live TV from the main window.
- The main navigation shows options like Home, Search, Browse, Live TV, and My Stuff.
- By default, it will show you a guide which lists featured channels.
- It also has a window suggesting live TV for the channels you have viewed recently.
- To Play/Pause the live TV or to Zoom In, click on the TV window.
- Tap on the other channels to switch them.
- You can view other channels by tapping on ‘Recent Channels’, such as News, Kids, Sports, or Movies.
- Scroll to search for your favorite channel and upcoming programs.
- You can also click on the shows to record them by selecting Record.
You can easily sort the Live TV guide by category or alphabetically and also use the same while watching live shows.
Live TV Collection on Hulu
Unlike other services like DirecTV Now, Sling TV, and PlayStation Vue, there is no way to choose channel packs on Hulu with Live TV. Instead, it offers over 50 channels for $39.99.
You can also choose to watch premium channels like Showtime, HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and other channel packs. For cord-cutters, YouTube TV is the best choice as it has one base package. You can also add premium channels by paying extra.
As per your geographical location, the base package varies slightly. It includes regional, local, and national channels. You may not get some content or channels on all devices and in all locations. The base package includes the following categories for the subscribers –
- Entertainment and Lifestyle – It includes channels like National Geographic, A&E, FX, Bravo, and TNT.
- Local Channels – It features TV shows from CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX.
- Kids and Family – It includes Cartoon Network, Boomerang, and Disney.
- Movie – It includes channels like TCM and FXM.
- Sports – It includes ESPN and BTN.
- News – Includes channels like CNN, CNBC, MSNBC and FOX.
Premium channels are subject to promotions for a limited time and their price also varies. You can access most of these channels free for one week. For example, you can access Showtime for $4.99 per month for three months. Thereafter, it would cost $10.99 per month.
There are two add-on packages launched by Hulu, including entertainment package for $7.99 per month, including channels like FYI and DYI, and Spanish pack for $4.99 per month, offering ESPN Deportes and CNN.
You can also get unlimited access to the traditional streaming library with Hulu Live TV, along with Cloud DVR storage for 50 hours, and option to watch content on two screens simultaneously. There is also unlimited screen plan for $14.99 per month for all members of your family.
You can also extend Cloud DVR for $14.99/month to 200 hours. You can easily skip the ads and enjoy your shows on the go with Cloud storage. Hulu is also going to add the option to download shows to watch offline.
You can also upgrade the traditional streaming library plan to remove ads. For this, you have to pay $43.99/month instead of $39.99 per month.
Let’s conclude all these plans with an example
Suppose you have a family of 5 members and want everyone to watch contents of Hulu with Live TV. You want unlimited screens and premium channels like HBO. In addition, you also want to skip ads while watching content from the traditional library. Here is a breakdown of overall package cost per month –
- Hulu with Live TV (no ads) – $43.99 per month
- HBO – $14.99/month (because you can’t miss legendary shows like Chernobyl, Game of Thrones and others)
- Unlimited screens – $14.99 per month
- The Total cost of the package – $73.97 per month.
Final Notes on Hulu with Live TV
Consider these final notes when using Hulu with Live TV –
- Home Network – Verify your home internet network location within 30 days so Hulu will set your regional and local channels for your area. Be sure that the home network is permanent and residential. Therefore, you need a good modem and router.
Mobile users have to connect to the home network once every 30 days. To upgrade or set home location, log in on a device in your living room, which supports Hulu. You can also Change or Set Home on Hulu.com.
- Profiles – Hulu allows up to 6 profiles in one account. You can create profiles for the more personalized TV experience. It recommends contents as per your viewing history. You can also set profiles so your kids can access only family-friendly content. Sign in to Hulu account to change or set up the profiles. Click “Profiles” from the Account page.
Though you cannot access as many channels as other services, Hulu with Live TV is still the best choice if you have been using Hulu or just going to cut off the cord and binge watch your favorite shows.
Leave a Comment