This widget simply shows your current location in numbers. GPS coordinates are received from the GPS location provider or from the network location provider if GPS is not available.
The altitude is queried from open MapQuest API which yields in a more accurate result than receiving the altitude by GPS. So this widget is also interesting for hiking (altimeter).
GPS coordinates can save lifes in emergency situations (e.g. when you get lost in the mountains).
– Display your current location in numbers
– Additional information (Street, City, GPS satellite fix)
– Shows your altitude with high accuracy
Locked features (can be unlocked with some Good Karma ;-)):
– Share your location with friends via SMS, Email, etc.
– Different location formats are supported (Latitude and Longitude in Decimal Degrees, Degrees/Minutes, Degrees/Minutes/Seconds, Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM))
Note 1: To save battery power you should switch off the widget when you do not need it. You can force the widget to switch off automatically after some time in the settings.
Note 2: This is no GPS toggle widget. You can not turn on and off GPS. You simply get clear information about your current location.
To add widget press: Home->Menu->Add->Widgets->GPS Widget
If you like the widget, I would be glad if you donate (its free for you) and earn some Good Karma Points in the settings view!
The widget needs the following permissions because:
– Your location: it’s obvious 😉
– Network communication: query altitude, donation via Tapjoy
– Storage*: donation via Tapjoy
– Phone calls*: donation via Tapjoy
(*) You don’t want to accept these permissions? Get “GPS Widget Pro” without the option to donate -> no “Storage” and “Phone calls” permission is required.